- children, college, education, high_school, success
- High school is a safe time to let children take risk, fail,
learn, and grow strength of character - or grit. Protective parents
can hurt the child, who may acquire a mentality of entitlement and
not the mental muscles to recover from a fall. This Web list is
inspired by Jennifer Meer's article "My parents let me fail,
which taught me how to live" and Salman Khan's view.
- EnglishBy degree62014-09-26• 668 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
8 6 3 5
- Why will Salman Khan not tell his son he's smart?
- Why did Jennifer Meer's parents let her fail, and how did she benefit?
- Why should you let your children take risk, fail, and learn the consequence?
- What if you over-protect?
- career, college, health, high_school, job
- Chemical engineers have the higest median life-time earning, but
economic majors who are at the top percentile do even better,
according to the Hamilton Project. Check out your earnings
potential at their interactive chart. in contrast, the Bureau of
Labor statistics says the top earners are surgeons and other
medical professionals associated with lengthy training and
licensing restrictions. Both, of course, did not mention
- EnglishBy degree62014-11-06• 706 Views0 Like0 Dislike4 Subscribers
- Who have the top paying jobs according to the Hamilton Project?
- How do the engineering and economic majors differ in their median incomes, vs their top-percentile incomes?
- Where can I find specific data and chart on income levels for other education levels and specializations?
- Who are the top earners according to the Bureau of Labor statistics?
- audiobook, college, english, high_school, literature, russian, tolstoy
- Declared to be "flawless magic," Tolstoy's Anna Karenina
commands enduring popularity, having 10 movies and TV series
remakes since 1935. The eight-part Russian novel tells of the
tragic story of a married aristocratic socialite and her affair
with the affluent Count Vronsky. It explores Russia's feudal system
and politics - at the government, family, and individual levels -
as well as religion, morality, gender and social class.
- EnglishBy degree62014-04-08• 296 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
7 10 5
To make a Web list to learn about Anna Karenina, linking to:
- e-Text in various formats (1901 Constance Gannett translation),
- Study guides.
- english, high_school, holiday, literature, quiz, the_guardian
- Do you know your Sherlock Holmes and banned books? This Web list
collects 79 quizzes about literature from The Guardian newspaper of
the UK. Each quiz contains up to 10 questions about monsters,
revolutionaries, crime, pets, love, hatred, religion, season,
classic, authors, classics, shakespeare, and more.
- EnglishBy degree62014-08-17• 353 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
54 25 3
To take quizzes about classical literature and learn about them at the same time.
- college, english, high_school, literature
- Before The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbits, there was Beowulf.
In fact, you can detect monsters and dragons from Beowulf in J.R.R.
Tolkien's works. Tolkien and other Beowulf fans - scholarly and
otherwise - have written lots of intepretations, translations, and
created videos, audiobooks, animations and documentaries, which we
bookmark in the Dishes section. We further bookmark a dozen study
guides in the Chops section.
- EnglishBy degree62013-11-27• 832 Views0 Like0 Dislike2 Subscribers
13 12 14
Hero against monsters and dragon! What are the web media that'll help us appreciate Beowulf, the Old English epic poem, particularly,
- encyclodedia overview,
- translated text by various scholars,
- video lectures, notes, analysis, animation, documentaries,
- lots of study guides (with their summaries, character lists, analyses, quizzes, study questions, essay guides, etc).
- college, high_school, learning_resource, plagarism, teaching_resource, web_tool, writing
- Teachers these days have the "Robocob" essentially at their
finger tips to catch plagiarism. Several free Web services are
eager to help. Still, students are best helped if they understand
what is plagiarism, the philosophy against it, and how they can
avoid it. Further, a common question is: What is the difference
between copyright infringement and plagiarism.
- EnglishBy degree62014-04-15• 162 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
6 11 1
- What are the free Web tools teachers can use to catch plagiarism?
- Can we use Google Image to spot image plagiarism?
- What is plagiarism?
- How can students learn to avoid plagiarism?
- How is plagiarism different from copyright infringement?
How do we avoid plagiarism in this Web list? Each source is clearly identified and linked to open in full browser tab.
- audiobook, college, english, high_school, literature, shakespeare, sonnet
- Shakespeare's first 17 sonnets might as well be entitled: If You
Love Yourself, Duplicate Yourself! The first 17 of his 154 sonnets,
traditionally called the "procreation" sonnets, are addressed to a
young man urging him to marry and have children in order to
immortalize his beauty by passing it to the next generation. The
rest of the sonnets also deal with the passage of time, love,
beauty and mortality. See Wikipedia article in Chops section for
- EnglishBy degree62014-03-08• 372 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
7 6 1 7
- To break into Shakespeare sonnets with a fresh view,
- To treat Shakespeare's first 17 sonnet as parts of a whole story,
- To make sense of Shakespeare's sonnets,
- To enjoy reading of the sonnets by great actors and actresses.
- cfa, college, education, finance, free_course, udemy
- The Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA®) Program is a professional
credential offered by the CFA Institute to investment and financial
professionals. A candidate who successfully completes the program
and meets other professional requirements becomes a "CFA
The emphases are on ethical professional standards, investment
analysis and portfolio management skills. The Dishes section lists
official resourcs, while the Chops section lists third-party
- EnglishBy degree62013-09-11• 366 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
8 11 5
- What the Chartered Financial Analyst program is about,
- How to become eligible for the CFA designation or charter,
- What are the requirements and exams,
- What are the resources for exam candiates,
- What are the differences between an MBA degree and a CFA designatioin,
- To list 4 free courses introducing the CFA program from Udemy.
- comedy, monty_python, movie, music, satire
- From ancient terrorists to alien aircraft, from King Arthur
fighting the killer rabbit, to the physics of swallow flights, and
knights full of antics, Monty Python's surreal, absurdist scripts
keep us entertained, awake and wondering the meaning of life.
- EnglishBy degree62013-12-10• 505 Views1 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
4 7 3 12
To make Monty Python scripts easily available at a click, while also pointing to their movies and other backgrond information.
- college, english, high_school, learning_resource, literature, teaching_resource, web_media
- Watch, listen, map - don't just read - your literature. The web
offers diverse resources from text to audibooks, videos, animation,
parodies, movies, location images and maps plus, of course, study
- EnglishBy degree62013-11-27• 619 Views0 Like0 Dislike4 Subscribers
25 13 5
For students of English literature, this web list links to:
- encyclopedic entry and overview,
- original text and translations,
- videos (parodies, animations, documentaries, etc),
- study guides,
- maps and location photos,
- anything that will bring additional dimensions to understanding the literature.
- audiobook, college, english, high_school, literature, pirate, poem, taylor_coleridge
- What moved Frankenstein, vampire, and Pirates of the Carribean
to quote them, Iron Maiden to sing them, Richard Burton and Orson
Welles to read them? It's the lines from The Rime of the Ancient
Mariner by Taylor Coleridge. That long, imaginative, poem from 1798
signaled the shift to modern poetry and the beginning of British
- EnglishBy degree62014-03-31• 357 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
6 9 8
- To listen to The Rime of the Ancient Mariner, by Taylor Coleridge,
- To learn the background and synopsis,
- To learn its influence on Iron Maiden, novels, and popular culture,
- To list study guides, a movie, images, and reviews of this poem.
- college, english, high_school, literature, satire
- What do Animal Farm, the two pigs, and the other animals
symbolize? Animal Farm is an allegorical and dystopian novel by
George Orwell, published in England on 17 August 1945. According to
Orwell, the book reflects events leading up to the Russian
Revolution of 1917 and then on into the Stalin era in the Soviet
Union. This course bookmarks video introduction, full-length
animation of the novel, HTML text, study guides, and audio
- EnglishBy degree62013-10-07• 452 Views0 Like1 Dislike2 Subscribers
6 3 6
- To introduce Animal Farm by George Orwell,
- To bookmark online books in HTML, PDF, and other formats,
- To collect video and audio books about Animal Farm,
- To bookmark study notes and guides.