- austrian_economic, college, economic, free_market, history, murray_rothbard
- History is not what we are taught. Here is a book that will turn
everything you learn about economic thoughts on its head. It all
did start with the Greeks, but Chinese, Catholics, Spanish
Scholastics, medieval Europeans, the modern nation states all
witnessed the ebb and flow of ideas about economic freedom -
clearly it was no one-way progress. Adam Smith paved the way for
Marxism. There is more startlingly detailed and extensive
discussion about what went through the ancient minds.
- EnglishBy Rothy2014-07-08• 541 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
9 6 3
To read a comprehensive, original, revealing, detailed, and well-argued discussion about economic thinking from ancient Greece to the 20th century.
- audiobook, girl, high_school, history, holocaust, literature, wwii
- What inspired Anne Frank to prepare her diary for eventual
publication? It is this radio speech by Dutch minister Bolkestein:
"History cannot be written on the basis of official decisions and
documents alone. If our descendants are to understand fully what we
as a nation have had to endure and overcome during these years,
then what we really need are ordinary documents -- a diary, letters
from a worker in Germany, a collection of sermons given by a parson
or priest ..."
- EnglishBy Oriole2014-05-18• 3,304 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
10 14 12
- Are there audiobook and video dramatization about Anne Frank and diary?
- Tell me interesting background facts about Anne Frank.
- The building she hid in, her grave, and museums - can I visit them online?
- Where can I find study guides, excerpts, and arts about her and her diary?
- children, christma, history, holiday
- History is not what we are taught. Christmas is a complex
celebration with religious, cultural, traditional, commercial,
political, and pagan associations. This Web list collects research
about where Christmas come from. How much of Christmas is bliblical
and how much is pagan and secular? What are the traditions and fun
- EnglishBy Oriole2014-12-22• 591 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
7 5 1
- Where does Christmas come from and how has it evolved?
- What do Christmas customs come from - food, tree, carols, candy, ornaments, Santa Claus, etc?
- Why do some argue that Christmas is pagan and too commercial?
- Does Christmas accurately commemorate the birth of Jesus?
- history, holiday, thanksgiving
- History is not what we are taught at school! Through animations,
songs, and videos, we trace the Puritans' motivation to leave
England, their difficult voyage, starvation at Plymouth, and how
they survived with Indian help. Then we dig deeper into how they
turned despair into prosperity - in search of the real reasons for
thanksgiving: They adopted a system of working for themselves and
their own families, then exchanging their surpluses with the
Indians and neighboring towns.
- EnglishBy Oriole2013-10-28• 1,621 Views3 Likes0 Dislike4 Subscribers
8 5 12
- To bookmark videos, songs, animations about Thanksgiving celebration,
- To start with the traditional historical accounts,
- To add critical views of the whats and whys of Thanksgiving,
- To highlight Governor William Bradford's own account of how the Plymouth colonists eventually prospered.
- fun, geography, high_school, history, literature, personality_test, quiz, travel
- These are as close to serious quizzes as we can find on
PlayBuzz.com. May be they will be good excuse to keep playing
- EnglishBy Cloud_92014-08-08• 1,119 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
- Do you know your English, geography, history, literature, math, biology?
- Test yourself on PlayBuzz.com and learn something today.
- architecture, guitar, history, music, spain, spanish, travel
- What can best describe "Recuerdos de la Alhambra?" Melancholy,
uplifting, and hauntingly beautiful: Melancholy yet uplifting as
this classical gutar piece slides effortlessly from minor into
major keys. Hauntingly beautiful - as the thumb plays the counter
melody in the difficult "tremolo" technique - like a backstory
recalling the great moorish palace-fortress of Al-Ahmar, of the
kingdom of Granada, from an era when muslims ruled Spain and
brought enlightenment to Europe.
- EnglishBy Gardener2013-12-30• 394 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
13 6 11
- Listen to the classical guitar piece "Recuerdos de la Alhambra,"
- What makes this song special? The composition? The technique? The background?
- Where can I find the music sheet?
- What does the palace-fortress of Alhambra, Granada, Spain, look like?
- What's the story between Spain and the Moors?
- Can I see the city today in video, images, panorama, and map?
- columbus_day, high_school, history, holiday
- He hustled to finance his voyages, read widely, grossly
under-calculated distances, sailed west to get to the east,
enslaved the natives, claimed central America for Spain, but never
admitted to finding a new continent. Leif Eriksson and others
probably beat him to it by 400 years. What makes him famous is
likely a combination of his gutsiness, life-saving navigation
skills, and the American romatic need for a religiously pious
pioneer and hero.
- EnglishBy chaiseri2014-04-29• 281 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
6 4 3 3
- To learn the real history of Christopher Columbus,
- To understand whether he is the first who discovered America.
- college, easter, high_school, history, holiday
- Why do adults quarrel over a fun holiday like Easter? Religious
purists are harsh on the popular tradition, including the name,
eggs, bunny, and ham. Their problem is with the pagan origins, when
early Christian rulers compromised biblical roots to convert pagan
believers. For others, however, the only Christian belief that
matters is that Jesus Christ returned to life three
days after he was executed by crucifixion.
- EnglishBy Oriole2014-03-14• 1,285 Views0 Like0 Dislike2 Subscribers
8 7 1 9
To learn about
- The history and pagan origins of the Easter celebration,
- Christian belief about Jesus' resurrection,
- Some harsh criticism of Easter celebrations.
- children, game, history, homeschool, interactive, preschool, quiz, social_study
- This web list points to 700 children's history games, quizzes,
and interactive lessons. However, compared to other subjects, such
as math and music, the history subject lends itself less to the
format of "pure" game, but rather more of "semi-games," i.e.,
interactive lessons, quizzes, puzzles, and interactive historical
- EnglishBy Oriole2014-01-19• 801 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
22 11 9
- To make history interesting to primary school children,
- To find history games that can be played on web browser, without having to download apps,
- To find interactive lessons, animations, interactive maps, quizzes, puzzles, and other media on history.
- biology, chemistry, college, free_course, high_school, history, literature, psychology
- Meet the Green brothers - Hank and John - in their
learning-crazy videos. CrashCourse offers funny, fast-pace, and
context-rich videos of around 10 minutes, on high-school to college
level subjects. They now have 1.5 million subscribers on
- EnglishBy chaiseri2014-03-09• 588 Views0 Like0 Dislike1 Subscriber
7 5 1
To learn these subjects in video blogs by Hank and John Green in CrashCourse:
- World History,
- US History,
- high_school, history
- This course is inspired by Khan Academy's video "Overview of
Chinese History 1911-1949." In 11 minutes, it tells the story about
China's political events, figures, neighbors, and wars over 38
years. For the interested students, this video is a platform to
launch into further learning. We link to Wikipedia articles about
the 5 main characters, Youtube videos about Pu Yi, and suggest two
movies, including one directed by Steven Spielberg, starring a very
young Christian Bale.
- EnglishBy saengch2013-09-15• 520 Views1 Like0 Dislike4 Subscribers
6 5 7
- To expand on Khan Academy's concise video about Chinese history for the period of 1911 to 1949.
- To add Wikipedia details about five historical characters outlined in the video.
- To link to videos about China's last emperor, Pu Yi, whose life events parallel this period.
- To suggest movies that might interest and add depth of understanding for students.